So... a couple of weeks ago I gave away my wedding dress. Over 16 years after my wedding. Why, you ask? Good question!
I've seen discussions on other blogs or in other forums about what to do with wedding dresses and I know there are a LOT of different opinions on the subject!
Here are some of the most popular things to do with a wedding gown:
- Sell it right after the wedding. Makes sense. Then you don't have to store it. And you can get back some of the money you paid for it. And most newlyweds can use the extra cash :)
- Hold onto it for sentimental reasons. It's such a special day and you felt so beautiful in your wedding dress that you can't imagine giving it away or selling it. Many people feel they could never part with their wedding gown.
- Make Baptismal, Christening, or Dedication gowns out of it. Or a pillow or little purse for the rings for a future son or daughter's wedding. All beautiful ways to make those occasions that much more sentimental by incorporating part of your wedding day.
- Keep it hoping a future daughter will wear it on her wedding day. Another way to make a wonderful day even more special.
- Donate it to a charity who gives gowns (or sells them for a lower cost) to people who can't afford to buy a dress. You can do this with bridesmaid dresses or prom dresses too.
I didn't choose any of those options though.