You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 2 | From Overwhelmed to Organized: You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 2

Monday, May 6, 2013

You've Got {Too Much} Email! - Challenge Update 2



Last week I launched the "You've Got {Too Much} Email" challenge.  I've heard several great stories from people who have taken up the challenge and have been deleting emails in their inbox.  If you missed the introductory post, you can click here to read all about it.

Every Monday evening I post my update on how many emails I deleted during that week.  So here is this week's update!




I deleted 3079 emails this week!  So many more than previous weeks and I smashed my weekly goal of 250 emails.

A lot of these were "easy" emails to delete.  But they were still emails :)

What do I mean by "easy" emails?

  • Emails that I've saved but that I really didn't need to be saving.  For example I kept confirmation emails for Kindle books I've ordered but I have the books so I don't need the emails anymore.  And I saved emails from LinkedIn that are also in my LinkedIn inbox so I don't need these duplicates.
  • Newsletters that I subscribed to, read, and then saved in case I wanted to refer to them again later.  It's later and I never look back to them, so away they go.  This week I deleted over 1000 leadership, education, and job-related newsletters.  If/when I ever need this information I'm sure I can find it again online.
  • Emails that used to be important but aren't any more.  In my case I deleted over 1000 job-related emails that I saved when I was job searching last year.  
  • Drafts.  Some of these were 10 years old!  Definitely don't need them anymore.
  • Conversations.  I flipped through these quickly, but I don't use Yahoo for chatting very often and none of these conversations were about anything important.
So there you go!  Feels good to get rid of all that dead weight :)

Do you have a bunch of easy emails you can delete?  If you're feeling overwhelmed when you open your inbox, this is a great place to start de-cluttering it!

You can join this challenge at any time!  You can choose to do a little bit each day or week or just jump in and do a bunch all at once.  I've been deleting mine while watching T.V.  It's multitasking at it's best :)

If you haven't downloaded your free spreadsheet or free printable tracking chart, or you need more information on how the challenge works, click here!

Don't forget to leave a comment below with your update!  If you're just joining in, tell us your starting numbers and weekly goal too!  


Check out the Challenges tab to see the rest of the posts in the series!


I'm enjoying sharing this journey with you.  We're all in this together :)   Here's to a less overwhelming inbox!




I link up at these great parties - Check them out!