HTML Map

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

365 Items in 365 Days Decluttering Challenge


365 Items in 365 Days Decluttering Challenge | fromovewhelmedtoorganized.blogspot.com


Are you overwhelmed by clutter in your home?  Do you find it difficult to consistently de-clutter your home?  Are you motivated by friendly competition and the accountability of a challenge?

Then the "365 Items in 365 Days Declutter Challenge" is for you! 

The goal of this challenge is to purge 365 items from your home in 365 days.  That's an average of 1 item per day.  You can do it on a daily basis or you can do it weekly or monthly.  Whatever works for you!

With a new year, it's the perfect time to declutter.  It's also a common time to set goals.  So will you join me in decluttering 365 items in 365 days?

If you've been following this blog for any length of time, you'll know that I'm a big believer in purging and decluttering our homes.  Clutter is so overwhelming, and I just don't see the point in trying to live with or organize stuff we don't need, use, love, or have the space to store.  Before any organizing project, I always declutter first. Then I can see what's loved and used and find helpful ways to organize it.

365 in 365 Rules


OK, here are the "rules" for this challenge:

  1. Declutter 365 (or more) items from your house in 2014.
  2. Items must actually leave your home to count in this challenge.  We all know how easy it is to "declutter" but have boxes and bags of items pile up in the garage without actually leaving your home.
  3. You can sell, donate, or give away items.  It's up to you.  But they have to leave your home (see rule #2).

Throughout the year, I'll be sharing decluttering tips and motivation to help you achieve your purging goals.   Plus, I'll be updating you at least once a month on my progress.  So make sure you've subscribed to my blog by email or RSS so you don't miss any posts along the way!

I'm in!  What do I do?


To participate, join our 365 Items in 365 Days Facebook group so we can encourage each other throughout the year in our decluttering efforts.  It's a closed group (just click "Join" at the top of the page and wait for me to accept you), intended for people participating in the challenge (or those who love decluttering or who want to declutter more and need the encouragement).  You can share pictures of your purged items or uncluttered spaces there and interact with others in the group! 

Or, you can leave me a comment letting me know you're joining the challenge, and leave comments on your progress in the update posts throughout the year.

If you're a blogger, you can also leave links to your posts so we can all see your progress!  I've created a button you can put on your blog if you want to share the challenge with your readers. 

I'm Doing It! 365 Items in 365 Days Declutter Challenge


Not sure yet?  How about a few Q & A's?


I'm sure you're wondering about a few things.  Hopefully these Q & A's will help:

  1. Do groups of similar items count as 1 item or multiple items?  It's up to you, depending on how much clutter you want to eliminate from your home.  For example, you could count each individual piece of clothing as 1 item, or you could count each bag of clothing (if you have growing kids, you probably purge 365 items a year already so in the spirit of the challenge you may want to count per bag).
  2. Does garbage count?  No.  Although you should still throw out things that aren't usable as you come across them :)  {Update: See this post for an update to the garbage guideline}
  3. Do I have to declutter specific items each week? Nope!  It's entirely up to you what you choose to purge.  You can tackle a different area of your home each week or month if that helps you.  Or you can just set aside things as you come across them throughout the year.  Easy peasy!
  4. Will I win something if I complete this challenge?  Well, you'll experience the joy of living in a less cluttered home for one thing.  And the satisfaction of helping others if you've donated or given away some of your belongings.  You may even have made a little money along the way if you sold some things or found any money while you were decluttering!  Oh yeah, and I'll have a prize for one of you at the end of the year.  I can't tell you what it will be yet because I want to set the value of it based on how many of you participated.  So tell your friends and family and invite them to join the 365 Items in 365 Days Facebook group!  They'll thank you for helping them have a less cluttered home, and it will increase the value of the prize :)

I'm sure there will be other questions along the way, and I'll make sure I answer them in my update posts and in the 365 Items in 365 Days Facebook group.   So ask away :)
 

How do I track my progress?


First, I recommend you set up a place in your home to put the items you're purging.  You can have separate boxes for "Sell", "Donate", and "Give Away" if you've got the space.  Or you can have one box or basket to add to on a regular basis, and sort it when it's full. 

In my next post in this series, I'll be sharing a printable tracking sheet you can use, as well as a spreadsheet, if you prefer to track your items that way. 

Where can I find Decluttering tips?


If you aren't sure where to start decluttering, check out my 31 Days of Easy Decluttering series (there's also a tab for it at the top of the page).


http://fromoverwhelmedtoorganized.blogspot.ca/p/31-days-of-easy-decluttering.html


Or you can check out my Decluttering/Purging Tips and Ideas board on Pinterest.  It's one of my most popular boards and I add it to regularly.





Are you ready to enjoy a less cluttered house in 2014?






Join the 365 in 365 Challenge!  I look forward to sharing this journey with you!

What area of your home are you going to start decluttering first?  Do you think you'll have a problem purging 365 items in 365 days?  What decluttering tips can you share with us?


Happy decluttering!





I link up at these great parties - Check them out!


21 comments:

  1. This is great Hilda. I'm a big one for decluttering the item but it stays within the confines of the house. I'm in!

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I've been known to do that too Anne... which is one of the reasons I made that a rule :) Glad to have you aboard!

      Delete
  2. Gidday Hilda! I think this is a wonderful challenge and I can't wait to start tracking my decluttered items. I think I'll have a better chance once these kids go back to school. I'm featuring this at tomorrow's party.

    Anne xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's great having you part of this challenge Anne! Thanks so much for the feature and for spreading the word!

      Delete
  3. Replies
    1. Join us Helen! You'll be so glad you did :)

      Delete
  4. Wow! I've found someone else doing this :) I started doing this on January 1st, and made it into a blog to keep myself accountable. It's such a great feeling to get rid of this stuff I don't need or use, and to think, it's all just sitting in closest and cupboards, taking up room.

    http://365thingsicanlivewithout.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. (Me again) On that note, I didn't even know I had a "blogger" account, I think that's from Highschool! I had forgotten all about. Let's try this again with a different account, I'm Carly!

      Delete
    2. Hi Carly! That's so neat that you started a blog about decluttering 365 items this year! I just checked it out and it's great. I love that you are blogging to keep you accountable to keeping this resolution. I just added you to the FB group (unless another Carly asked to join this afternoon!). I look forward to getting to know you and share this decluttering journey with you :)

      Delete
  5. I am going to do my best...my house could really use it!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Great Cassie! Any decluttering you do will be better than doing none at all :)

      Delete
  6. I know I'm a little late but I would like to join in.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's never to late to join in! If you haven't joined our Facebook group yet, it's a great place to get ideas and encouragement. Happy decluttering!

      Delete
  7. I just found your blog through pinterest. One of my goals for 2014 has been to get rid of everything we don't use or love. I am so happy you started this challenge and would love to participate -just wish I would have found you sooner!! So far I have made a trip to goodwill every week. I'm hoping your posts will keep me motivated to continue!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a great goal Nichole! Welcome to the challenge. Sounds like you've been doing a great job decluttering!

      Delete
  8. Hello, Hilda. I came to visit your blog through Leslie's most recent post, and I'm so glad I did. I'm jumping in late as well, but now is the perfect time for me to begin -- We're moving into a new home soon! Thank you for sharing your expertise. I'm in on the challenge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you're here Alice! It's never too late to start decluttering! Good luck with your move.

      Delete
  9. Hey Hilda, I need your challenge!! I am currently doing #100HAPPYDAYS, but as soon as I am done (July 1st) I'll start yours.
    Last summer I took an effort to declutter, and I got a lot done, but there's still so much to do.
    http://thethreegerbers.blogspot.ch/2013/07/organized.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Welcome to the challenge Tamara! Happy decluttering :)

      Delete

I love hearing from my readers! This is a great place to:

*ask questions
*answer questions {like the ones I ask in each blog post}
*share your organizing tips
*request help for any organizing dilemmas that are overwhelming you.

You can also email me at organizerhilda {at} gmail {dot} com.

Thank you so much for commenting! I look forward to getting to know you better :)