Organizing Ideas for the Weekend: Moving Tips | From Overwhelmed to Organized: Organizing Ideas for the Weekend: Moving Tips

Friday, July 25, 2014

Organizing Ideas for the Weekend: Moving Tips




Happy Friday!  Time for another organizing idea for your weekend!

I haven't been keeping up with my twice a week blog schedule the last two weeks.  Last week's only post was Why I Gave Away My Wedding Gown and it was very popular.   And today's post is the only one this week.  I'm hoping you've been so busy enjoying your summer that you haven't noticed :)

I'd like to say that I've been doing the same, but I've been working... a LOT.  Much more than I'd planned.  I'm working with several clients, but one of them in particular, because she's preparing to list her home in a couple of weeks.  I'm helping her declutter her whole home and we're doing some preliminary packing so there's less stuff around when potential buyers are picturing themselves living there.

Over the last few months I've done the same with another client and with my parents.  So I've kind of got moving on the brain :)

Summer is a popular time for moving so I wanted to share some tips I've found online to help you if you've got a move in your future.  Even if you don't, you probably know someone who is moving soon so you can pass on these tips to help make it a much smoother process!

{Note:  I've received permission to use these pictures.  If you'd like to share or pin these ideas, please do so from the original source.  If you'd like to pin this post, please use
my title image above.  Thanks!}


1.  Get organized!  Early :)  Unless you are moving on very short notice, start preparing for your move as early as possible!  One way to do that is to create a Moving Binder.  Here are some tips to help you do that.



2.  Purge! Purge! Purge! And then purge some more :)  When you're packing, you'll come across lots of stuff at the bottom of closets, in the backs of drawers, and in the nooks and crannies of your home.  Chances are you haven't used those items in a long time, so why waste the time, energy, and money on packing, moving, and unpacking those things?  Start decluttering as early as possible and schedule several charity pickups for the weeks leading up to your move.  If you need tips on what to keep and what to purge, check out my Decluttering/Purging Tips & Ideas board.



3.  Get all the packing supplies you need.  Check out these cute moving labels!



4.  Your home will sell quicker and for more money if you stage it.  I'm not a home stager, but I've been involved in the process with several clients and I've seen the difference it makes.  My friend Leslie is a home stager and wrote a whole series on staging your home.  She even turned it into an ebook!


Goodbye, House!  Hello, Home!


5.  When you're getting your home ready to sell, remember to clean some of those things you may not do on a regular basis.  And during the "showing" stage, keep your home as clean as possible so you can clear out quickly when you need to.  This checklist from Clean Mama will help you do both!

Clean Mama

6.  You can change a lot of addresses online, but you'll still have to call a few places.  Here's a checklist to help you remember everyone!



7.  Put together a paper products basket so you can pack up your kitchen early and "picnic" the last few days.  Even better, use up all your old leftover birthday party supplies so you don't have to move them!

Organize & Decorate Everything

I hope these ideas help you have a smooth move!

You can find lots of other moving tips on my Moving board on Pinterest.




If you're not moving any time soon (and you don't know anyone else who is), or if you'd just like additional ideas of what you can organize this weekend, there's a tab at the top of this page called Weekend Ideas.  It has links to all my Organizing Ideas for the Weekend posts. 


How often have you moved?  Do you have any tips to add?  Or an "I'll never do that again!" story of a moving day gone bad? (We can all learn from those!)

Happy organizing and have a great weekend!




I link up at these great parties - Check them out!